Nurturing Positive Relations and Healthy Boundaries in UU Congregations
September 2014: We believe that Unitarian Universalism can be a faith for the 21st century. But it will never be such unless it reckons honestly with the damage done by those in positions of trust, power, and authority that is just as much a part of our heritage as are our beloved Principles and Purposes.
In the wake of our petition of May 2013, we have begun to work with the UUA board and staff. We are deeply grateful to a be part of a new day of sunlight and transparency that our leaders are starting to usher in with their bold and courageous leadership. We stand ready to companion them on this journey of unabashed faith in all-encompassing love.
- August 26, 2014
Safety Net Updates UUA CSM Benchmarks of Progress
- June 20, 2014
Safety Net Creates Benchmarks of Progress on Addressing UU Clergy Sexual Misconduct (CSM)
- June 19, 2013
UUMA Votes Overwhelmingly to Approve New Sexual Ethics Code
- May 27, 2013
Moderator Candidate Jim Key Responds to Our Petition
- May 24, 2013
Moderator Candidate Tamara Payne-Alex Responds to Our Petition
- May 23, 2013
FUUN Weekly Message Highlights Our Petition
- May 22, 2013
We Post a Petition on Change.org
UUA candidates for board and moderator: Open a national conversation on clergy misconduct.
- Feb. 2013
A National Conversation on the Wreckage of UU Misconduct?
The Rev. Jason Shelton reflects on the prevalence of UU clergy misconduct and the desperate need for a national conversation.
- Read other news from Safety Net
Safety Net is an Action Team of Social Justice. Our goal is to work in a positive way to effect much-needed change in the policies, procedures and attitudes surrounding clergy sexual misconduct in Unitarian Universalist congregations. Some ways we hope to do this are to:
- Develop a certification program for UU Congregations that are "safe." This would be similar to the Welcoming Congregation Program. We hope to work with the UUWF (Women's Federation) and the UUMA (Ministers Association).
- Develop a curriculum in support of the certification program.
- Raise awareness around power differentials.
- Raise awareness that clergy sexual misconduct is an issue of social justice.
- Set up a resource for survivors of UU clergy sexual misconduct.